Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Immunizations Are Coming...

Little is going in to the pediatrician on Friday for her first well child visit since she was 3 1/2 months old (first visit of any kind since then, really). We've decided to vaccinate our children after all, so she will be getting some SHOTS and I'm am very nervous for her! Does anyone have any suggestions for how I can help her through this? She's coming on 21 months old, and wouldn't have much idea what I'm talking about if I tried to prepare her for it earlier that day, though I will try to explain it a little. She's really really shy with strangers these days, though, and I'm afraid she will be traumatized! (I know, I'm probably just an over-concerned parent, but I hate shots, and I know what it's all about!) She also has to get blood drawn to check hematocrit and hemoglobin, and I'm not sure if that's a finger prick or a heel prick that they squeeze blood out of, or what. Yuck! Things were much easier when she didn't go to the doctor!

4 comments:

Peg Lewis said...

The thing about it is, I wish they wouldn't give so many at once! At least she's older, but...

I think the best preparation is none. Let her be surprised. And don't be concerned, just matter of fact (and if you can pull that off, wow!). And then later let her show you on her dolly if she wants to.

I'd be curious how others feel about this. Getting too much preparation just increases the anxious time, right? Or maybe in the context of 'first you will pull up your shirt, then you will take off your shoes, then you will get a few shots, then they will listen to your heart..'

Katie Richins said...

Well, I don't know how many shots she's getting, but taking a pain reliever while in the waiting room helps ease the pain closer to the injection time, instead of waiting till later. We also had a pretend syringe that Mads played with, and she'd pretend to stick us, then we'd pretend to stick her. We'd say things like "Oh. Ouch. That hurt a bit, but I'm okay." Awknowledging that it's not nothing, but still manageable. Also, having a little package of bubbles there can work wonders. Let her blow the bubbles as she gets the shot, and then she's breathing through the pain.

Anyway, I'm out of practice with this stuff, but maybe it's useful!

The Reeves said...

This is Jennifer, Bonnie's soster-in-law. I know we don't know eachother really well, but I wanted to help. I agree with Peg. I think no preparation is best. Doctor's offices that deal with little ones are well equipped to give them shots. Yes Litlle might cry and it will make you want to stop, but don't. She will stop crying in moments and won't even remember why. I would bring a distraction toy or book to help ease her mood. I like little mama's idea about the bubbles.
I would also advise your doctor that you are uncomfortatble with shots. He/She might have some helpful tips. Remember if you get anxious so will Little. If you remain calm ,collected and don't react to the shots or her crying so will she.
I will tell you, I hope you start shots with Littler right now. It is easier to start them younger, they don't remember as much, and they don't get as many at one time.
Hope this helps...
Feel free to look at my blog too.

Martie said...

Amen to what little mama said.I am not one for throwing surprises. But I also am not one to over-intimidate them. I am matter-of-fact, yet understanding. And definitely give the Motrin or whatever at least 20 minutes beforehand.

Sugar has been proven to curb pain. I suggest a sucker just for the occasion. Either it will help ... or she will always associate them with pain and hate them. Either way is not too bad! ;)

Good luck,

Martie